(meteorobs) Daytime optical fireball video system?

LEO STACHOWICZ l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 28 18:51:00 EDT 2015

Thomas,

I'm not sure if it's the best way of doing it, but I have contemplated using cheap car DVRs/"dash-cams". I don't think you'd need too special a lens, apart from being relatively wide-angle, so most dash-cams would fit the bill. Even the cheap ones will do basic HD, and with a 64 GB memory card you'd have around 12 hrs of recording before files start to get over-written. So you'd have to check every 12 hrs, unless 128 GB cards were used which would give you 24 hrs. I'm not sure if dash-cams can handle 128 GB cards yet, but it is possible that some do, or maybe even many do.

The downside is that it would be difficult to check your footage unless it could be automated somehow. The upside is that they are cheap, can be used "as is". No need to source lenses, power supplies (just plug in to long USB cable), or run from a PC/laptop.

I have a G1W clone/copy which I use in the car and it produces very reasonable image quality considering how cheap it is. It cost me about £30 ($50) last year, but there may be even better deals available now - I haven't kept up with what's available, and things change fast in the dash-cam market.

Here's a review of the one I have:http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/16/g1w-the-cheapest-dash-cam-thats-worth-buying.html?currentPage=2

Also this forum might be of help if you want to investigate further: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/#dash-cam-forum.1

Clear skies,
Leo