(meteorobs) Predawn August 8 Meteor Observing

Paul Zeller pzeller1966 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 01:52:41 EDT 2015

  Saturday morning August 8 I was able to observe between 2:00 AM - 5:00 AM
EDT in my back yard. It turned out to be a fairly active few hours. Here's
what I saw:

  Southeast County (Indianapolis) Indiana.
  Long: 86° 03' 01" W, Lat: 39° 39' 35" N, El: 255 meters.

  08 Aug 2015 0600 - 0715 UT. Looking high to the north toward Cepheus and
Cassiopeia. Clear but high clouds hugging the north and east horizon, just
out of view, lit up by the rising Waning Crescent Moon one night past Last
Quarter. 68°F, Dew Pt 61°F, Humidity 78%, Calm Winds. Teff = 1.167, LM =
5.12 mag.
  PER: Three: +2 (2); +3
  SDA: One: +2
  ANT: One: 0
  Sporadics: One: +4
  Total meteors: Six

  08 Aug 2015 0730 - 0900 UT. Looking high to the north toward Cassiopeia.
Clear with some moonlight as the Moon rose higher in the ESE. 66°F, Dew Pt
59°F, Humidity 78%, Calm Winds. Teff = 1.383, LM = 5.07 mag.
  PER: Six: -3; +1; +2; +3 (3)
  SDA: One: +1
  ERI: One: 0
  Sporadics: Two: 0; +3
  Total meteors: Ten

  The showiest meteor by far was the -3 Perseid seen at 7:55 UT. It had a
distinct yellow-green color, left a glowing train that lasted 1-2 seconds,
and flared brightest before vanishing! I think it may have been just
slightly too dim to qualify as a fireball.

  Though I was hoping to see a Kappa Cygnid or two, none showed up during
this watch.

  (I hope Paul Martsching doesn't mind, but I was trying to follow the way
that he presents his reports to the list, since it seems like a great way
to organize the information!)

  Paul Zeller