(meteorobs) 2015 Pre-max PER obs this morning from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 15:52:23 EDT 2015

Hi again all,
    I forgot to mention that I did see one strong candidate for the BPE
radiant (beta Perseids) this morning also.  It was a nice +1 with a long
path and slight train streaking swiftly westward across Lyra.  I thought it
was a "normal" PER at first, but then I noticed that its path traced
backwards, passed considerably "under" the "traditional PER radiant.  When
seen in the right orientation (especially on an east/west trajectory, the
20 or so degree declination difference between the two radiants begins to
become more easily noticeable visually.
    I've spotted a few BPE candidates in past years while PER observing as
well.  Even during the furious PER max periods, it can be evident that
every now and then one of what looks like a PER at first glance just
doesn't quite line up right with the main radiant when traced back.  I'll
be on the lookout for more BPEs during the (hopefully) hot and heavy
activity mornings forthcoming...;o).

Best of observing luck to all, Paul J. in St. Augustine