(meteorobs) August 9/10, 2015 PER obs from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 08:54:52 EDT 2015

Greetings again all,
     Well, all the cumulus cloud problems I had yesterday morning vanished
completely overnight and I was left with two hours of pristine pre-dawn sky
conditions this morning to view the pre-max PER build-up activity.
      Although my skies were dark, cloudless and sharp, the PERs were still
playing a bit hard to get on me as I managed a somewhat modest (but
probably about normal)  23 PERs during the two hour watch (0330 - 0530 a.m.
EDT).  My overall total including other meteors was 46 total meteors in two
hours.  PER rate equaled "background" rate for me...;o).

Here's the specific breakout:

Observer:  Paul Jones   Date: Aug. 09/10, 2015, Location: 5 miles SW of St.
Augustine, Florida (Lat: 29.81 N, Long: 81.35 W)  LM: 6.5, Sky Condition:
Clear, Facing: south

0730 - 0830 UT (0330 - 0430 a.m. EDT)  Teff; 1.0 Hour, No breaks

13 PER  +1 (2), +2 (2), +3 (3), +4 (4), +5 (2)
2 SDA    +2 (1), +4 (1)
2 ANT    +4 (1), +5 (1)
1 BPE    +3
7 SPO    +3 (1). +4 (3), +5 (3)
25 Total meteors

0830 - 0930 UT (0430 - 0530 a.m. EDT) LM 6.0, Clear with slight moonlight,
Teff: 1.0 Hour, No breaks

10 PER   0 (1), +3 (4), +4 (2), +5 (3)
2 SDA     +1 (1), +4 (1)
1 ERI       +3 (1)
8 SPO     0 (1), +2 (1), +3 (2), +4 (3), +5 (1)
21 Total meteors

Of the 23 PERS observed, 6 left visible trains, 3 of the brighter PERs
showed slight yellowish color.

Nothing came very close to a negative magnitude meteor for me this
morning.  The zero mag sporadic was actually the most impressive meteor of
the watch, slightly beating out the zero mag PER.  There was a brief spurt
of 4 or 5 PERs within five minutes towards the end of the first hour that
helped my total quite a bit.  There were also long lulls when no PERs
showed up at all...:o(.

At least I cannot blame the clouds or the sky conditions this time.  Even
the slender crescent moon rising was a non-irritant.  Maybe it's just me
losing my "mojo"...;o).   Time will tell on that, however

Hopefully, this good weather stretch we are having will hold for at least a
few nights longer, I'm ready to start seeing the hot and heavy PER action!

More later and happy meteor hunting to all, Paul in St. Augustine