(meteorobs) Perseids, Campton New Hampshire USA

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Wed Aug 12 00:47:51 EDT 2015

Given pessimistic cloud cover forecasts for the upcoming days, I
hurried out to observe during one of the last expected clear nights
on Friday. The encouraging reports which were being posted about
pre-peak rates this year gave me some optimism.

With some friends, I hiked to the top of Dickey Mountain in New
Hampshire to have a look at some pre-peak Perseids on Friday, Aug
7/8. The Perseid rate was so low that I did not bother to log onto
the clock for formal observing.

Informally, between 0200 UTC and 0500 UTC 8 August, we only saw 5
Perseids. LM was around 5.7. The brightest Perseid was only magnitude
2. We saw many more satellites, and more than twice as many sporadics
as we did Perseids. A few of the sporadics were negative magnitude.
We also saw two ISS passes. Clouds came in around 0500, so we dozed
off. We were awakened a few hours later by a severely bright waning
moon. The moon, combined with a high, thin haze washed out the sky,
so we went back to sleep. Awoke again at dawn and picked wild
mountaintop blueberries for breakfast before hiking out.