(meteorobs) Perseid report

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 12 15:45:15 EDT 2015

Rascals:
 I set up an experimental image intensifier spectrograph and secured a few spectra.  I was using a Grade B surplus Philips XX1332 image intensifier I bought from a surplus dealer in the UK.

See:http://www.abex.co.uk/sales/optical/night_vision/intensifiers/xx1332/index.htm

The intensifier proved to be very noisy and there were other spectra produced by lights, out of the field of view.  I used an Optec LLC 300 g/mm blazed transmission grating on a Bronica F-2.8 - 100mm f.l. lens.  The spectra are of questionable quality because of the intensifier noise etc.  It will take me awhile to download and examine these spectra to my computer.  They were recorded on a VCR video tape which uses NTSC so is not compatable with the European system.  My tape ran out around 1:30 a.m. PDT and some hase was present so I went to bed.  No time/date stamp was used.  If the spectra look worthwhile I will try and capture them and send you samples.
    If its clear out tonight I will try again.  Hard for this old goat to stay up all night, ha! ha!   Never did try my DSLR as I did not have the correct adapter rings to mount my grating on.  Have this on order but of course won't get here in time for the Perseids.  Didn't set up my reflection grating spectrograph as I was having difficulies with it.  I was going to use an old Sentinel All-sky Camera interface box to try and capture spectra directly to a computer.  Of course Murphy's Law hit me and the computer failed.  Hope to get this working eventually.  Hope the video is not too noisy as that will trigger captures.
    Anyway that's my report for now.

Ed Majden
B.C. Meteor Network
Courtenay, B.C. Canada