(meteorobs) [RASCals] Perseid report

Colin Haig astronomer at cogeco.ca
Wed Aug 12 17:40:05 EDT 2015

Thanks for sharing!

-----Original Message-----
From: rascals-bounces at lists.rasc.ca [mailto:rascals-bounces at lists.rasc.ca]
On Behalf Of Ed Majden
Sent: August 12, 2015 3:45 PM
To: RASCals Discussion List <rascals at lists.rasc.ca>
Cc: Meteor science and meteor observing <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Subject: [RASCals] Perseid report

Rascals:
 I set up an experimental image intensifier spectrograph and secured a few
spectra.  I was using a Grade B surplus Philips XX1332 image intensifier I
bought from a surplus dealer in the UK.

See:http://www.abex.co.uk/sales/optical/night_vision/intensifiers/xx1332/ind
ex.htm

The intensifier proved to be very noisy and there were other spectra
produced by lights, out of the field of view.  I used an Optec LLC 300 g/mm
blazed transmission grating on a Bronica F-2.8 - 100mm f.l. lens.  The
spectra are of questionable quality because of the intensifier noise etc.
It will take me awhile to download and examine these spectra to my computer.
They were recorded on a VCR video tape which uses NTSC so is not compatable
with the European system.  My tape ran out around 1:30 a.m. PDT and some
hase was present so I went to bed.  No time/date stamp was used.  If the
spectra look worthwhile I will try and capture them and send you samples.
    If its clear out tonight I will try again.  Hard for this old goat to
stay up all night, ha! ha!   Never did try my DSLR as I did not have the
correct adapter rings to mount my grating on.  Have this on order but of
course won't get here in time for the Perseids.  Didn't set up my reflection
grating spectrograph as I was having difficulies with it.  I was going to
use an old Sentinel All-sky Camera interface box to try and capture spectra
directly to a computer.  Of course Murphy's Law hit me and the computer
failed.  Hope to get this working eventually.  Hope the video is not too
noisy as that will trigger captures.
    Anyway that's my report for now.

Ed Majden
B.C. Meteor Network