(meteorobs) FW: 2015 Perseid max from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 02:41:44 EDT 2015

My first attempt to send this failed
Rich
From: rjtaibi at hotmail.com
To: meteorobs at meteorobs.org
Subject: 2015 Perseid max from southern Maryland
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:46:23 -0400

Humid weather and clouds hampered my watch for Perseids August 12/13.  I abandoned a first observation before midnight Eastern Daylight Time on the 12th due to persistent and increasing clouds.  I saw some bright Perseids in cloud breaks and during the drive to Bel Alton, my watch site, so it was frustrating that the weather was not cooperating.  Luckily I delayed departure for half an hour and a fresh breeze from the NW signaled a strengthening high pressure weather system had finally arrived- at least for the ensuing 108 minutes.   The most impressive meteor was a -8 PER fireball that lit up the thin clouds that veiled it at 7:26 UT on the 13th.  Its train lasted 12 seconds, but I might have been able to follow it longer if there were no clouds.  The flash from the fireball dimly lit up the field in front of me.  It was a great consolation prize for the night's second cloud-out.   Details of the successful watch are as follows:

August 12/13, 2015
5:31-7:19 UT (on the 13th), Teff=1.80 hours.
Bel Alton, Maryland (38.5 degrees north, 77 degrees west, sea level)
Observing conditions: Lm=5.2, no clouds during the session, visual field center was in Cepheus.

PER: -4, -2 (3), -1, 0 (6), +1 (3), 2 (8), 3 (6), 4 (3)  Total=31; mean magn= +1.31

Beta Perseids: +1, +2  Total= 2, mean magn= +1.50

SPO:  +2 (3), +4 (3), +5 (2)  Total=8, mean magn= +3.5
I noticed that three of the sporadics from the earlier (discontinued) watch emanated from Cepheus and were of medium speed.  One sporadic from the above did the same.

Best wishes,
Rich