(meteorobs) Gotta a bad feeling I lost 77MHz!

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 12:48:39 EDT 2015

At 10:15 AM 8/22/2015, you wrote:

>may have spoke too soon....  turned the radio on and bam, the
>hardest tone with a lot of fluttering on 77.25MHz, I had to drop my
>volume to 2/10 to keep that tone down.

If there is a lot of fluttering, I would suspect that is a signal
from some distance away that is temporarily enhanced due to
propagation.  It may disappear as the propagation shifts.  The
flutter can be propagation effects, airplanes or beats with other
carrier(s) that you cannot detect by ear.

If you have a continuous hard tone, running a spectrogram on the
receiver output can reveal meteor returns that you cannot easily
detect by ear unless the carrier is so strong that is activates the
receiver AGC.  It can also show you if the "flutter" you hear is
doppler shift due to airplanes or just random propagation
flutter.  If it is airplanes, you MAY also see some meteors in
amongst the flutter unless the source is too close to you.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net