(meteorobs) Radio meteor listening today.. high rates

Michael Boschat andromed at dal.ca
Sat Aug 29 10:51:10 EDT 2015

Hi:

 Well, as I mentioned awhile back, I am getting a hard tone with what sounded like
garbled short morse code and at times a "picture" buzzing lasting a few minutes on
77.25 MHz which is or was our Ch. 5 TV analogue, but was getting lots meteors.

 So, below is what I have done up to now, and today is really good with high meteor
rates -- Aurigids?

 At the start this is what I said:

 Better one so far. Tone heard and meteors on 77.2511 MHz.
Also heard on 76.3101 MHz. which is supposed to be Digital TV carrier.

 As of Aug. 24, very hard tone and other frequencies seem to be there, decided to
drop to 77.25085 MHz still pick up meteors but hard tone is still there.

 As of Aug.28 - turned dipole to about 320 degrees North magnetic, about 50 degree
angle from tone at about 270 degrees, it reduced the noise ok and was able to get meteors.

 As of Aug. 29, moved to 77.25191 MHz, higher to get away from noise, meteors still seen
on Spectrum Lab and the reflections seem a bit brighter. BUT I lost the pings and only
very strong meteors will be heard.

 Anyways, today is great so far, many meteors. The tone is there but enough in the background
that I can put the volume up on radio.

 So far:

   UT       #/hrd

0900-1000 =  60

1000-1100 =  86

1100-1200 = 120

1200-1300 = 108

1300-1400 =  96

1400-1500 =  67 + still listening

Clear skies
Michael Boschat
Halifax Center - Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
Astronomy page:  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa063