(meteorobs) Meteors in Iowa

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Wed Dec 9 11:45:09 EST 2015

It appeared to be clear went I started out to McFarland Park.  As I got out to set up, I noticed a couple narrow clouds above the western horizon.  I wasn't too concerned as I knew there were few clouds in that direction, and if the clouds continued to drift from West to East, soon they would pass over and be gone to the East and it would be clear.  However the direction of cloud drift gradually changed to North to South, which was bad, as I knew there was a lot of cloud cover to the North.  It was clear for a half hour, then I waited for an hour and a half for the clouds to go away.  Once during this time it got very nearly clear and I began recording again, then the clouds returned.  At midnight it finally cleared and I observed for an hour and forty-five minutes before more cloud cover drifted in from the North.  I gave up and went  home.

09 Dec 2015 0345 - 0415 UT 43 deg F; dew pt 36 deg F; wind West 14 mph; "clear"' average LM 5.4; facing East 50 deg; teff 0.5 hour
GEM: three: +1; +3(2)
Sporadics: two: 0; +4
Total meteors: five (30 minutes)

09 Dec 2015 0600 - 0700 UT 43 deg F; dew pt 38 deg F; wind West 12 mph; "clear"; average LM 5.3; facing East 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour
ANT: one: +3
DLM: two: 0; +3
GEM: three: +1; +2; +3
HYD: one: +3
Sporadics: one: 0
Total meteors: eight (one hour)

09 Dec 2015 0700 - 0745 UT 40 deg F; dew pt 36 deg F; wind NW 10 mph; "clear"; average LM 5.5; facing East 50 deg; teff 0.75 hour (45 minutes)
ANT: one: +1
GEM: six: - 3; +1; +2(2); +3; +4
HYD: one: +4
Sporadics: three: +2; +3(2)
Total meteors: eleven (forty-five minutes)

The - 3 GEM was yellow and one of the + 1 GEM's was orange.

Paul Martsching in Iowa