(meteorobs) Dec 10/11, 2015 Pre-max Geminid obs from North Florida - rates about the same

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:53:12 EST 2015

Greetings again all,
     Our good weather here in North Florida held up for us for at least one
more day and I was able to get in two more hours of GEM watching from the
meteor roof in St. Augustine.  Before I started though, I tried to take a
ride out to the Hastings, Florida "potato field" just to check the
conditions out that way, but hadn't gotten more than another three miles
farther inland before encountering a veritable wall of pea soup fog!  I
could barely see past the hood of the car!  I quickly retreated to the
clearer confines closer to home...;o).
     I had another 33 GEMs and 30 others for 63 total meteors in the two
hour watch (4 - 6 am EST).  Nothing special from the GEMs this morning,
nothing brighter than +1 and their rates seemed basically identical to the
morning before.

Dec 10/11, 2015 Observer: Paul Jones, Location: 5 miles southwest of St.
Augustine, Florida

0400 - 0500 EST (0900 - 1000 UT),  Teff: 1.0 hour, LM: 6.0, Clear, Facing:
South
16 GEM: +2 (2), +3 (7), +4 (5), +5 (2)
2 DLM: +2, +4
1 HYD: +3
1 ANT: +4
9 SPO: +2, +3 (3), +4 (3), +5 (2)
29 total meteors

0500 - 0600 EST (1000 - 1100 UT), Teff: 1.0 Hour, LM: 6.0, Clear, Facing:
South
17 GEM: +1 (2), +2 (2), +3 (4), +4 (5), +5 (4)
3 DLM: +1, +2, +3
2 HYD: +2 (2)
12 SPO: 0, +1, +2, +3 (4), +4 (3), +5 (2)

I was hoping for a more noticeable uptick in the GEM rates, but they seemed
rather on the sluggish side to me this morning.  Both in terms of
brightness and in rates.  Maybe they are saving up energy for the maximum.

The DLMs and HYDs however, do continue to impress me given that they are
minor radiants. They seem to be very consistent in producing noticeable
activity and they are pleasant additions indeed to the GEM watches.

More tomorrow (I hope)...:  Clear skies, Paul J in North Florida