(meteorobs) Geminid maximum based on past results

Norman W McLeod III nmcleod at coconet.com
Sat Dec 12 12:47:08 EST 2015

Tonight should have the highest Geminid rates for the North American
quadrant.  Dec 12/13, a day early, in the year before a leap year.
Tomorrow night would have lower rates but almost all bright meteors, and
rates declining quickly after midnight.  I went through several of these
cycles from 1969 to 1995.

Paul's results for Dec 11/12 are about what I would expect for that
date.  Rates in the 30's one day before the max.  His perception is
close to normal for everything except Perseids.  Tonight looks like fog
in North Florida.  Better do some earlier hours just in case.  Best
rates for 4 hours, around 1130pm to 330am local, while the radiant is
passing almost overhead.

Down my way the weather looks good for tonight.  Toasty warm to boot,
low 80's F day and holding above 70 F tonight.  Texas is a mess at the
moment, but tomorrow it clears there.  Hoping Pierre doesn't get caught
in a flood today, stay dry my friend.

Norman