(meteorobs) Dec 20/21, 2015 meteor obs from North Florida - abbreviated by clouds

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:52:13 EST 2015

With work constraints today, I decided to stay home and get up on the
meteor roof, vice going out to the potato field to observe.  Without those
ultra-dark, rural  skies, the corresponding drop in meteors seen was
predictable.  Still, overall, I did pretty well. considering there was lots
of cirrus clouds/haze cutting in and out across the sky, too.
I had 4 DLM, 2 GEM, 1 DSV, 1 XVI and 10 SPO for 18 total meteors in the one
hour I had before the clouds multiplied and shut me down.

Dec., 20/21 2015 Observer: Paul Jones, Location: 5 miles southwest of St.
Augustine, Florida

0400 - 0500 EST (0800 - 0900 UT) LM: Var. - 5.4 to 5.8, Sky Condition: 15%
cirrus cloud/haze interference, Facing: South
4 DLM: +2, +3, +4 (2)
2 GEM: +2, +4
1 DSV: +2
1 XVI: +3
10 SPO: -2, 0, +2(2), +3 (4), +4 (2)
18 total meteors

The SPOs took center stage for me this morning with two lovely ones
indeed!  The -2 streaked for 25 degrees through Hydra coming out of the SE
sky and later in the hour another bright one (zero mag) came up from the
south through Canis Major/Orion.  No URSs were seen during the watch.  I
hung around for a few minutes into the second hour looking through holes in
the clouds hoping for any URS that might show up, but none did.
I'll give it another go in the morning for the predicted URS max.  If
clear, I may journey out to the potato field to get the best view.  With
moonset around 0400 EST in the morning, there is a nice two-hour, dark sky
window for them to show up in!  I don't think I've ever had a good, dark
sky look at a URS max before!  After 41 years, it's about time...;o).
 Will advise...

Clear skies all, Paul J in North Florida