(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. 7/19/15 - Mathias, WVa

george gwgliba at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 13:17:06 EDT 2015

>>               Screech Owl Hill Observatory,  Mountain Meadow
>>                        Mathias, West Virginia - July 19, 2015

    I was able to get another 1.5 hours of meteor observing in before clouds
    moved in to end the show.  This time I concentrated on looking for the
    meteors from the Kappa Cygni region reported by David Levy and Ed
    Guenther.  I did see a total of 4 meteors in less than an hour (4:15-5:08 UT)
    from an area just a few degrees north of Kappa Cygni.  Their average magn.
    was 3.0.  If a real radiant, these probably were not Kappa Cygnids as that
    maximum is a month away.  Also, as the sporadic rate was high the first hour,
    they were possibly only chance alignments.  But I think that video and radar
    observers should look closer at this. The Perseid rate and brightness was
    better than for the previous two nights,  The best meteor was a 0 magnitude
    Perseid with a 4 second train.