(meteorobs) Radio Meteors galore

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 09:52:31 EDT 2015

At 09:24 AM 6/7/2015, you wrote:
>My ONLY problem is the hard tone I get and loose faint meteors in
>background and cannot pull them out, but just hear them.

Try running a spectrogram.  The hard tone (ie., carrier) is just a
thin straight line on a spectrogram and can be ignored.  Tiny faint
pings are easily visually separated from the carrier and also easy to
count.  You don't even need a direct radio > PC audio connection if
you have a microphone (like on a laptop).... just put the receiver
speaker near the mic.  Not as good as a direct connection, but dead
easy to try.

Set to scroll slowly at 1 pixel/2 seconds (over an hour per
screenful), I can easily detect residual carrier, airplanes and pings
that are completely inaudible.

Spectrum Lab is a very popular choice for this and is free.

http://sur.ly/o/qsl.net/dl4yhf%2Fspectra1.html/AA001290

Put the carrier at about 1KHz and set the screen for +/- maybe
200-400 Hz and you will be amazed what it will reveal.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net