(meteorobs) Meteor captured over Loch Ness

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 16 10:55:58 EDT 2015

That's a very interesting picture. Consumer camera fireball images
normally show the meteor itself as fully or nearly saturated. The same
here, but unless I'm missing something, this meteor is reflected in the
lake at a much lower intensity, allowing us to see something of the
actual color progression as the body descended deeper into the
atmosphere. We usually only see this effect visually (not often
described accurately) or in spectroscopic data. I don't think I've ever
encountered an image quite like this.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory