(meteorobs) Comparison of analog tv signal and DTV pilot carrier for scatter purposes

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Tue May 5 12:48:40 EDT 2015

On 5/5/15 10:22 32000, Michael Boschat wrote:
> So, I will *not* hear any pings ect using my ears only with digital signal?
>
> I have to get software?

You hear pings, as you hear now. It is the same principle.  Software is
Spectrum Laboratory which is free, courtesy of the programmer.  I
believe you can get a meteor counting script from RMOB observers that
embeds into Spectrum Laboratory.  Provides better and more dependable
data than listening by ear.

If your radio tunes to 54.310 MHz CW/USB/LSB or 54.309 or whatever, give
it a try.  Turn up your gain maybe.

You might also try going out of your apartment building and
experimenting in a more rural location outside of your city just to see
if you can get meteors. Can you run on batteries?  If you cannot get any
meteor scatter in a rural location then, I'm not sure, but it might no
longer be worth pursuing from your location.  Such is radio meteor
observing these days and many people have given up after the digital
switchover.