(meteorobs) Meteors heard on DTV!

Michael Boschat andromed at dal.ca
Fri May 8 04:51:00 EDT 2015

Moerning all:

 Well,  1st I am waiting arrival of a new Icom R20 receiver too replace my aging R10!

Ok, I   ***** HAVE **** to use the notch filter I have no matter what.    That being said,

I looked at the video that was posted - and jotted down the DTV frequencies.  I set my self at 82.3095 MHz ( Ch.6 )

and here in Nova Scotia according to that FCC site we have the following:  1 Digital transmitter and 1 analogue

in the same location about 150 Km from me here in Halifax to my SW.  Also there is a transmiytter in New Brunswick

digital also about 200 km or so a bit NW.

So I have 2 digital and 1 analogue.

I tuned to 82.3095 MHz in CW mode at 4 am and detected 8 short underdense meteors - I listen to the radio.   In an hour

and now at 5:40am ADT heard another one.

 So, I am happy that I can detect at least something on our DTV here.

This is my set up I use: I just changed the frequency for today...

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Lat: N 44d 39'
Long: W 63d 36'
Hgt: 58 meters above sea level
Listening Frequency: 82.3095 MHz
Receiver: Icom R-10
Antenna : resonant dipole
Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane, elev 0 deg
Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna &     receiver.
Listening Mode: CW

Clear skies
Michael Boschat
Halifax Center - Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
Astronomy page:  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa063