(meteorobs) Comparison of analog tv signal and DTV pilot carrier for scatter purposes

Sam Barricklow k5kj at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 13:46:46 EDT 2015

> On May 5, 2015, at 11:48 AM, Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft at heliotown.com> wrote:
>
> If your radio tunes to 54.310 MHz CW/USB/LSB or 54.309 or whatever, give
> it a try.  Turn up your gain maybe.

Michael,

The center frequency for the DTV pilot carrier is 54.310 MHz.  So, tune your receiver as follows:

CW - 54.309.2 or 54.310.8 MHz depending on your receiver design & CW offset.  For my TS-2000, I use 54.309.2.
USB - 54.309 MHz
LSB - 54.311 MHz

I am receiving meteor pings here in the Dallas area, but most are weak. However, a few have been up to S4. Most are S1 or less.

I’m using a 3 element 6 meter yagi at about 65 feet AGL, currently fixed north.  I don’t know the direction of the signal source, but will check later.

I also have a two element wire yagi in the attic that is pointed at the zenith, that I use for monitoring the analog video channels and will check the pilot carrier signals with it later too.

Sam - K5KJ