(meteorobs) Nov., 9/10 2015 Tauriid obs from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 08:14:29 EST 2015

Hello again all,
      I managed to somehow get in 1 3/4 hours of Taurid watching this
morning from the "Meteor Roof" in St. Augustine despite almost constant
threatening clouds around the edges.  They stayed away nicely right up
until morning twilight interfered and then quickly moved in and covered the
entire sky.
      Overall, the meteor activity was good with 35 total meteors including
a few Taurids, a couple of Leonids, another probable member of the obscure
November iota Draconid (NID) radiant and quite a few swift, showy sporadics
shooting all over the sky.  As is usual for me, no fireballs were seen,
however.  A big "Well Done" to all the other Meteorobs folks who are a
whole lot luckier with seeing fireballs than I am...;o).

Here are the numbers:

Nov., 9/10 2015, Observer: Paul Jones, Location: 5 miles southwest of St.
Augustine, Florida, LM: 6.0, Sky Condition: 10% cloud interference, Facing:
south

0400 - 0500 EST (0900 - 1000 UT), Teff: 1 hour (no breaks), LM: 6.0, clear,
Facing: south

3 NTA +2, +3, +4
3 STA +3 (2), +4
1 LEO +3
11 SPO: +1, +2 (2), +3(4), +4 (2), +5 (2)
18 total meteors

0500 - 0545 EST (1000 - 1045 UT) Teff: .75 hour, 10% cloud interference,
Facing: south
3 NTA 0, +2, +3
1 STA +2
2 LEO +1, +3
1 NID +3
10 SPO +1, +2, +3 (3), +4 (3), +5 (2)
17 total meteors

The "Meteor of the Watch" was by far the zero magnitude north Taurid that
went due east through about 70 degrees almost dead across the meridian.  It
was silvery white, arcing and sparking along its entire path and left a
thin train behind it.  I watched it shoot slowly across the sky for about
five seconds altogether.  Every time I thought it was over, it flared back
up again and kept going!  Short of a fireball, this meteor was a real
keeper...;o).

The +1 Leonid was a nice one streaking due south  below the radiant and the
November iota Draconid was a short, medium speed little meteor that lined
up well with the projected radiant position.  I'll be on close watch for
more NIDs going forward.

Looks like the LEOs may already be starting to "heat up" a bit and it
will be very interesting to see what they have up their sleeve this year.
About the only thing one can reliably predict about the Leonids is that
they are usually unpredictable.

More later, Paul J in north Florida