(meteorobs) Capturing daytime fireballs?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 13 11:55:40 EST 2015

I don't see how NIR filtering would provide an advantage. Most of the
optical energy produced by meteors is at shorter wavelengths, and the
sky continuum is only a little lower in the NIR than elsewhere. So
you're going to throw away a lot of signal, and only slightly reduce the
noise.

My first approach to a daytime survey camera would be to look at
extending dynamic range. Most video cameras have shallow wells and/or
poor processing designs. They offer 8-10 bits of output, and their
realistic dynamic range is often much lower. A camera with a good sensor
and circuitry designed to take advantage of it could give you 70dB or
more of S/N, which would really assist in pulling out meteors only a
little above the sky background.

If you want to explore filtering, I'd consider narrowband filters
isolating specific emission lines which are common in meteor spectra-
something from Mg, Na, or O, perhaps. You still have the problem of
rejecting most of your energy, but you essentially remove the background
completely, so with a sensitive camera you might see an improvement over
unfiltered results. This would be something interesting to experiment with.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com