(meteorobs) Capturing daytime fireballs?

Roberto Gorelli md6648 at mclink.it
Fri Nov 13 12:11:12 EST 2015

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:55:40 -0700
  Chris Peterson <clp at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> I don't see how NIR filtering would provide an advantage. Most of
>the
> optical energy produced by meteors is at shorter wavelengths, and
>the
> sky continuum is only a little lower in the NIR than elsewhere. So
> you're going to throw away a lot of signal, and only slightly reduce
>the
> noise.
>
> My first approach to a daytime survey camera would be to look at
> extending dynamic range. Most video cameras have shallow wells
>and/or
> poor processing designs. They offer 8-10 bits of output, and their
> realistic dynamic range is often much lower. A camera with a good
>sensor
> and circuitry designed to take advantage of it could give you 70dB
>or
> more of S/N, which would really assist in pulling out meteors only a
> little above the sky background.
>
> If you want to explore filtering, I'd consider narrowband filters
> isolating specific emission lines which are common in meteor
>spectra-
> something from Mg, Na, or O, perhaps. You still have the problem of
> rejecting most of your energy, but you essentially remove the
>background
> completely, so with a sensitive camera you might see an improvement
>over
> unfiltered results. This would be something interesting to
>experiment with.
>
> Chris
>
> *******************************
> Chris L Peterson
> Cloudbait Observatory
> http://www.cloudbait.com
>
> On 11/13/2015 7:00 AM, Thomas Ashcraft wrote:
>> Are there any specialized camera systems for capturing daytime
>>meteors
>> and/or re-entries?
>>
>> Would near infrared filtering enhance chances of video capturing a
>> daytime fireball?
>>
>> Links to papers?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Thomas

Sorry for bad English.

A daytime bolid it's a very rare event, perharps from a place it can
to be saw one time each 10 years or more then I think that nobody
should see at it specifically, but if a people want to do this I think
that a common camera can took easy a similar event without special
accessories, the only accessory that, perharps, can aid it can to be a
polarizer filter for to clear the sky. Naturally the camera must never
see the Sun.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli