(meteorobs) Nov., 15/16 Leonid/Taurid observations from North Florida - LEOs heating up!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 10:46:36 EST 2015

Greetings again all,
     I battled clouds and cirrus haze constantly for almost three hours
this morning from the Hastings, Florida potato field and managed to pull
1.75 hours of good data out of it.  I was extremely lucky!
     The LEOs showed up real well, as did the continuing saga of the
Taurids...;o).  Overall, I had 19 Leonids, 8 Taurids and 23 sporadics for a
total of 50 meteors between 0400 and 0545 EST this morning.  Here are the
numbers:

Nov., 15/16 2015, Observer: Paul Jones, Location: Hastings, Florida (18
miles southwest of St. Augustine, Florida), Facing: east.

0400 - 0500 EST (0900 - 1000 UT) Teff: 1 hour, LM: 6.2, Sky Condition: 25%
cloud/cirrus haze interference.
9 LEO: -1, 0, +2, +3(3), +4 (2), +5
3 NTA: +1, +2, +3
2 STA: +2, +4
11 SPO: +1. +2, +3(2), +4 (4), +5 (3)
25 total meteors

0500 - 0545 EST (1000 - 1045) Teff: .75 hour, LM: 6.2, Sky Condition: 15%
cloud/cirrus haze interference
10 LEO: -1, 0, +1, +2, +3 (2), +4 (3), +5
3 NTA: +1, +2, +4
12 SPO: +1 (2), +2 (2), +3 (4), +4 (2), +5 (2)
25 total meteors

I lost most of the 0300 - 0400 EST hour to the clouds, but still managed to
see a few meteors in and around them.  One of the meteors during that hour
lined up well with the November Orionid (NOO) radiant, but it was the only
one I saw that did.  The speed seemed to be medium, like a Geminid, so I
was pretty sure it was in fact a NOO.
No fireballs for me this morning although there were some nice bright LEOs
and some long, slow Taurids to keep me entertained.  7 of the 19 LEOs I saw
left visible trains.  It's a bit tough for me to see color in many of the
LEOs due to their super fast speed and micro second visibility, but I did
catch some yellow and some orange in a couple of them.
I was impressed by what I saw of the LEOs this morning and hope that even
better things will come from them in the days ahead!  Weather permitting,
I'll be out there to find out and report to all...

Clear skies and lots of Leonids to all!  Paul J in North Florida