(meteorobs) Cloudy in Iowa

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 18 13:49:27 EST 2015

When I got up about 2:15 am I could see quite a few stars, especially to the South thru my bedroom window.  When I got set up to observe about 2:40 am, the sky was about 2/3 clear.  Within 5 minutes is was overcast and within 10 minutes it was raining.  So I put everything back in my car and waited.  From 3 - 5 am the sky was from 75 percent to 100 percent overcast, probably averaging more than 85 precent with a fairly strong SW wind gusting to 25 mph.  During this time I did see 5 Leonids and 4 sporadics.  Three of the Leonids were bright enough to be seen thru moderately thick cloud.  I finally gave up and went home.

I am trying to decide whether to go out tomorrow morning.  The forecast low is 31 degrees, clear and windy.  It may not be worth the trouble.  In some years the Leonids are about as good the morning after maximum.  (I would definitely brave the cold and wind for the Geminids!)

Paul in Iowa