(meteorobs) Leonids-2015

Steven Kolins smkolins at mac.com
Mon Nov 23 22:59:32 EST 2015

Well observing under poor conditions with a nearly full moon very high in the sky but otherwise crystal clear skies from about 9:30pm eastern time to 10:30pm in central North Carolina ( 36°4’N, 79°27’W.)

I saw 2 Leonids very faint for the conditions so ~3.5 mag. There were also two sporadic meteors roughly the opposite directions to the source of the Leonids near east from here.

I could see Kappa Gemini so limiting was near mag 3.5-4.

> On Nov 23, 2015, at 5:54 AM, Steven Kolins <smkolins at mac.com> wrote:
>
> If I read this right for the Eastern US Leo (and more specifically the radiant) will be narrowly below the eastern horizon. However that narrowly seems to suggest a high chance of earth grazing meteors as well as a relatively raised rate, though perhaps towards a third or quarter of the ZHR?
>

>> On Nov 8, 2015, at 6:04 AM, Shanov Sergey <shanov-2004 at yandex.ru <mailto:shanov-2004 at yandex.ru>> wrote:
>>
>> Good day.
>>
>> Viewing one of the publications Jeremie Vaubaillon:
>>  http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-data_query?bibcode=2005A%26A...439..761V&link_type=ARTICLE&db_key=AST&high=42c2e2305f18848 <http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-data_query?bibcode=2005A%26A...439..761V&link_type=ARTICLE&db_key=AST&high=42c2e2305f18848>
>> It is possible to see the prognosis of activity Leonids on 2015. There are circumstances of collision with cometary by trails 769, 636 years. The first maximum is expected on November 19 around 22:52 UT with ZHR ~20. The second, more interesting maximum, is expected on November 23 around 2:51 UT with ZHR ~100!. It means, that the stream can appear is similar Perseids. The prognosis can appear not precise for such old cometary of trails, as on time, and meteoric activity. It would be interesting to compare these outcomes to the data of other models.
>>
>> Sergey

Steven Kolins
mailto:smkolins at mac.com
http://smk99.blogspot.com/
Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart!