(meteorobs) WWV as radio scatter source - update

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Thu Nov 26 12:52:07 EST 2015

Nov 26 2015

I have been experimenting further with WWV, the time station,
broadcasting from Fort Collins, Colorado, at 25 MHz and 20 MHz and feel
it should serve as an excellent radio meteor scatter transmitter for
most of the western USA, western Canada and even down into northern Mexico.

All it might require is a short wave radio and half wave dipole antenna
or other sort of antenna. ( You just have to experiment. Possibly even
an old tv antenna. )

Here is a nice fireball recorded on two separate short wave radios last
night at 25 MHz AM and 25 MHz CW. Note that both WWV AM and CW modes
work well as meteor ionization reflectors. My antenna is a dual dipole
cut for 20 MHz.

Audio file:
http://www.heliotown.com/WWV_Nov262015_1055ut_25MHzamcwAshcraft_01.mp3

Audio visual spectrogram of the above sound file.
http://www.heliotown.com/WWV_Nov262015_AM_CW_Ashcraft10in.jpg

I would be interested in any reception reports.

The transmitters may be mostly useful after dark when the ionosphere
opens up until dawn. After dawn reception of the station itself may
obscure any meteors that occur. ( But 25 MHz might still be useful for
meteors after dawn. Not sure.)

Every observing location is site specific and some may have success and
others may not.  Good luck if you try.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft - Radio Fireball Observatory - New Mexico