(meteorobs) More 2015 Orionid pre-max observations from north Florida - still looking good!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 09:57:38 EDT 2015

Greetings again astronomy fans,
     The crystal clear skies held for at least one more morning and I
managed another glittering hour of meteor watching from the meteor roof
here in St. Augustine.  The rates were even better today for me than the
previous night as I came in just under 30 total meteors for the same 0430 -
0530 hour!
     The ORIs picked up to 12 for the hour and I had a surprise mini-burst
of Taurids (STA) as well.  I had planned to do two hours, but was just too
tired after a rough week at work.  Tonight I should be better rested (gotta
git while the gittin's good...;o).
     Here's the data:

October 16/17, 2015,0430 -0530 EDT (0830 - 0930 UT) Observer: Paul Jones,
Location: 5 miles SW of St. Augustine, Florida, Limiting Magnitude: 6.5,
Sky Condition: clear, Facing: south.

12 ORI
5 STA (South Taurids)
1 ETT (eta Taurids)
1 EGE (epsilon Geminids)
1 GPS (gamma Piscids)
9 SPO (sporadics)
29 total meteors

Magnitudes:

ORI: 0 (1), +2 (1), +3 (4), +4 (4), +5 (2)
STA: +3 (1), +4 (3), +5 (1)
ETT: +4 (1)
EGE: +3 (1)
GPS: +3 (1)
SPO: -1 (1), 0 1), +3 (2), +4 (3), +5 (2)

Trains:  Only the zero magnitude ORI left a train this morning and it also
showed a reddish coloring in the meteor.

Other than a couple of bright meteors, by far most of the ones I saw this
morning were quite faint.  As usual, the superb sky conditions were
responsible for my seeing so many meteors this morning.  Especially as my
alertness level was not at 100% by any means due to tiredness.

The STA mini-burst was quite a surprise, as I saw most of them within about
a ten minute window early in the hour.  The possible gamma Piscid was a bit
of a reach on the ID as it may have been a bit too swift in speed for this
obscure stream, but seemed to line up well with the projected radiant
position.

I'll be back out in the morning weather permitting, this time hopefully for
two hours.  In addition to the meteors, the winter Milky Way is awesome as
is the planet grouping in the eastern sky.  All told, this is a truly
awesome time to be out observing under the stars!!!
More later, Paul