(meteorobs) Strong Orionids last night!

David sharingthesky at jarnac.org
Fri Oct 23 16:29:29 EDT 2015

I observed Orionids last night for about 90 minutes after moonset.  I counted 27 meteors; a few were Taurids and there were two sporadics.  One Orionid fireball was very bright--  about Mv=minus 4, and I caught it in a photograph as well.

With the exception of the fireball,  most of the Orionids were faint, magnitude 4 or 5.  This might help to explain low counts in less rural areas.

David H. Levy
Jarnac Observatory
National Sharing the Sky Foundation.

---