(meteorobs) Late Perseid report!

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 19 05:49:19 EDT 2015

Late Perseid report!

I finally found some time to post my visual data on the IMO server from the 2015 Perseids. I enjoyed two weeks of observing from Revest du Bion (Alpes de Haute Provence – Southern France), together with my family and two well-known DMS observers Koen Miskotte and Casper ter Kuile. Revest du Bion is a small village at 900m altitude settled on ‘the plateau of Albion’ between the mountain chains of the famous Mont Ventoux and Montagne de Lure. Light pollution is very minor. The first two nights were totally clouded out (August 8-9 and 9-10) under influences of a small depression with lots of rain showers and thunderstorms. On August 10, High pressure took over, creating a new series of clear skies and hot temperatures during daylight. August 10-11 and 11-12 were totally clear. The Perseid shower was getting stronger, with some beautiful fireballs, especially during 11-12. Rates went over 50/ hour. Than all eyes on the main maximum night! This was a bit tricky with a new frontal system moving in from the west…  but it was all about the timing of this system… The night started clear, but it became a bit hazy after midnight, still with a SQM over 21, we should not complain. The night started with a bunch of bright Perseids before midnight followed by a small lull in activity. Then the shower regains it forces and peaked over 100 meteors / hour, again some nice fireballs till -5, -6!  At 02.30 UT the first signs of high clouds moved rapidly in from the west. Not critical but the limited magnitude decreased a bit. Anyway: morning twilight came as usual pretty fast after 03 UT.  This was a great night! I observed 534 meteors (including 463 Perseids) in 6.58 hours effective. Through my eyes: this seems to be a normal Perseid maximum, perhaps a bit stronger as usual thanks to the incoming Jovian perturbation on the stream for the period 2015-2017… Minor effect in 2015? It’ll be a lot stronger next year ;-). Back to the Provence: the frontal rain showers moved in on August 13 with some heavy thunderstorms during the evening hours and first part of the night. No Perseids but an impressive electrical storm during a big part  August 13-14… Anyway; we stayed alert for possible clear holes after the bad weather front. And yes: we faced in no time crystal clear skies after 01.30 UT in the morning of August 14. I measured SQM higher than 21.50, a personal record value for me from the French Provence! The Zodiacal light conus was unusually bright and reached as far as Pisces! Unfortunately, our observing window was short (1.5 hours till morning twilight) but the meteor activity was very impressive with high Perseid rates!  Also August 14-15 and 15-16 were influenced by a French low pressure system. Still, we were able to observe some hours under good observing conditions, but no full nights. On August 16, the weather became calm and the Mistral winds stabilized the local climate. Nights became pretty cold for the time of season but it stayed totally clear. We had good observing sessions for August 16-17, 17-18, 18-19, 19-20, 21-22. Only  during 20-21, there were more clouds. The Perseids decreased in activity after August 17. The Kappa Cygnids were minor this year and disappointing.. Another highlight: a -10 sporadic fireball with multiple fragmentation on August 16 – 23.20 UT.  In grand total, I observed during 11 nights and ~42 hours Teff, counted 1924 meteors including 1142 Perseids. All data on IMO server.  Koen and Casper also took many pictures; I suppose you’ll find many nice pictures on their personal websites in the future. I had a great time again from the French Provence and I definitely am looking forward to the rest of the meteor season (which is precisely my 25th observing season in my life!).

Clear skies to all meteor community!

Michel Vandeputte