(meteorobs) Big fireball over Cheyenne, WY

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 2 13:35:47 EDT 2016

I had someone in Denver contact me about a very bright meteor he
witnessed on 1 Aug at 3:23 am MDT. I didn't appear to have it on my
camera, but it was captured by the allsky camera on the roof of the
Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Later I found it in my data, as
well, as a flash behind clouds rejected as lightning.

Looks like it produced a massive fragmentation event at a height of 105
km over Cheyenne, with the flight visible both before and after that.
Estimated magnitude is -12. The witness reported seeing a persistent
train that lasted at least ten seconds. No other eyewitness reports have
been received.

The radiant suggests it could be a SDA, although my analysis isn't the
best since the entire path was captured by just one camera.

Video of the event is at
http://www.cloudbait.com/meteor/data.php?recnum=73620

Chris