(meteorobs) Aug 4/5 2016 observation from North Florida - one very busy hour!!!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 11:08:30 EDT 2016

Greetings again all,
     The lost sleep must be catching up to me!  I slept right through my
normal wake up time of 2:00 a.m. this morning - "sleeping in" all the way
until 4:00 a.m.!  I think I threw on some clothes and high tailed it down
to Matanzas Inlet, as once again skies were gorgeous!

     I set up shop at 04:25 local time and it was apparent right away that
the PERs had picked up a whole bunch from the previous morning!

Here's my results:

Observed for radiants:

CAP - alpha Capricornids
ERI - eta Eridanids
ANT - Anthelions
PER - Perseids
SDA: South delta Aquariids
PAU - Piscids Austrinids
NDA: North delta Aquariids
KCG: kappa Cygnids
BPE - beta Perseids

August 4/5 2016, observer: Paul Jones, Location: Location: North Bank of
Matanzas Inlet, Florida, Lat: 29.75N, Log: 81.24W (approximately 18 miles
south of St. Augustine, Florida). LM: 6.8, Facing: west

0425 - 0525 EDT (0825 - 0925 UT), Teff: 1.0 hour, No breaks,
33 PER: 0, +1(3), +2(7), +3(11), +4(8), +5(3)
3 SDA:  +3(3)
1 NDA: +2
1 CAP: +3
2 ERI: +2, +3
10 SPO: +2, +3. +4(4), +5(2)
50 total meteors

13 of the 50 meteors (11 PERs,1 ERI and 1 SPO) left trains. Yellow and blue
tints were seen in the brighter PERs and the SDAs.

I must have started right in the middle of a nice PER burst, because I had
five of them within the first three minutes - including a pair of perfectly
simultaneous +3 PERs about 5 degrees apart!  From there, the activity
continued at a fast, even pace for the whole hour.

My fellow ACACer Brenda Branchett was also out down in Deltona, Florida and
confirmed my impressions of the high PER activity, her report will follow
separately.  She even had a -4 PER fireball just a bit before I got out.
That's what I get for over-sleeping...;o).

Looking forward, our observing chances have been threatened considerably by
a low pressure system forming in the Gulf of Mexico.  It will be touch and
go in the weather department here in North Florida for at least the next
few days.  All fingers and toes will be crossed for some clear skies!

More later, Paul J in North Florida