(meteorobs) Aug 6/7 2016 observations from North Florida - a stunning PER fireball!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 10:46:18 EDT 2016

Greetings again all,
     Despite forecasts of "gloom and doom" weather from the system in the
Gulf of Mexico last night,  the skies were quite clear this morning and I
was joined at Matanzas Inlet by ACAC Vice President Lynne Pouliot and by
fellow ACACer Brenda Branchett down in Deltona, Florida for two nice hours
of pre-max Perseid watching.

     I had PER rates of near 30 an hour between 0330 and 0530 EDT this
morning from Matanzas Inlet and Brenda did even better from Deltona -
topping 40 an hour!  There were several nice PERs during the watch, but
none better than the "Grand Finale" PER we all saw just before the end of
the second hour!  It was a stunning -4, double-bursting, multi-colored
beauty shooting west through Cepheus that left a flaring, etched train on
the sky for several seconds after.  Boy, did we ever hoop and holler over
that one...;o)!

    More later as I decipher this mounting mountain of data from the last
two nights.- yikes!

    Hope others have been able to get out some and see the developing show!

Paul J in North Florida