(meteorobs) Aug 5/6 2016 observations from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 20:43:41 EDT 2016

Greetings again all,
     Conditions were very challenging this morning as cirrus clouds and
haze from the disturbance forming in the Gulf of Mexico pretty much
dominated large chunks of the sky.
     It was worse for me at Matanzas Inlet than it was for my fellow ACACer
Brenda Branchett  in Deltona, Florida.  I struggled mightily with my one
observable hour, but she got in a real good one from down there (about 75
miles south of me at Matanzas Inlet).

Here's what we saw:

Observed for radiants:

CAP - alpha Capricornids
ERI - eta Eridanids
ANT - Anthelions
PER - Perseids
SDA: South delta Aquariids
PAU - Piscids Austrinids
NDA: North delta Aquariids
KCG: kappa Cygnids
BPE - beta Perseids

August 5/6 2016, observer: Paul Jones, Location: Location: North Bank of
Matanzas Inlet, Florida, Lat: 29.75N, Log: 81.24W (approximately 18 miles
south of St. Augustine, Florida). LM: Var., 35% cirrus cloud cover, Facing:
west

0315 - 0415 EDT (0715 - 0815 UT), Teff: 1.0 hour, No breaks,
16 PER: 0, +1, +2(5), +3(5), +4(3), +5
1 SDA:  +2
1 NDA: 0
1 KCG: +1
1 BPE: +1
5 SPO: +2, +3. +4(2), +5
25 total meteors

6 of the 25 meteors (3 PERs,1 BPE, 1 KCG and 1 NDA) left trains. Yellow and
blue tints were seen in the brighter PERs and the SDAs.

I tried to get in a second hour, but conditions worsened even more and data
just wasn't possible to get after 4:30 a.m.  My colleague Brenda Branchett
though had much better fortune in Deltona and she managed two good,
productive hours from down there.  Here's her results:

August 5/6, 2016

Time :  4:15 - 5:15 a.m. (0815  0915 UT)

Observer: Brenda Branchett, Location: Deltona, Florida.

Sky visible -- 60 percent

Magnitude -- 4.5-5.0 (Had thin cirrus clouds swirling around horizons.)

Perseids -- 32 ( I noticed a higher percentage of brighter Perseids this
morning which helped with sky conditions.  A few minus 2, one minus 3, a
minus 1 and zero magnitude. A few second and third were visible as well.
overall, a nice display, with trains averaging 15-20 degrees.) Colors range
yellow-orange and blue-white.

Sporadics -- 7

SDA - 1

ERI --3