(meteorobs) Aug 6/7 2016 observations from North Florida - a real WOW PER fireball!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 21:17:53 EDT 2016

Greetings again all,
     The disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico was supposed to wipe us out last
night, but instead the skies cleared beautifully in the afternoon and it
was almost perfect for a memorable two hour pre-dawn watch this morning.
Fellow ACACer Lynne Pouliot joined me at Matanzas Inlet and Brenda
Branchett was out once again down in Deltona, Florida to our south.

     I think all the hours of lost sleep are catching up with me as my
results were somewhat off this morning and Brenda topped me quite a bit on
her observed PER rates.  It was great to have Lynne's company though and we
did see a lot of nice PERs and others in addition to the awesome -4 PER
fireball at the end.

Here's my results:

CAP - alpha Capricornids
ERI - eta Eridanids
ANT - Anthelions
PER - Perseids
SDA: South delta Aquariids
PAU - Piscids Austrinids
NDA: North delta Aquariids
KCG: kappa Cygnids
BPE - beta Perseids

Session One:
August 6/7 2016, observer: Paul Jones, Location: North Bank of Matanzas
Inlet, Florida, Lat: 29.75N, Log: 81.24W (approximately 18 miles south of
St. Augustine, Florida). LM: 6.7, Clear, Facing: west

0325 - 0425 EDT (0725 - 0825 UT), Teff: 1.0 hour, No breaks
28 PER: 0, +1(4), +2(7), +3(10), +4(4), +5(2)
4 SDA:  0, +3, +4(2)
1 NDA: +3
2 CAP: -1, +2
1 ERI: +2
1 BPE: +1
9 SPO: +2(2), +3. +4(3), +5(3)
46 total meteors

12 of the 46 meteors (8 PERs, 1 SDA, 1 NDA, 1 BPE and 1 SPO) left trains.
Yellow and blue tints were seen in the brighter PERs and the SDAs.

Session Two:

August 6/7, 2016 Observer: Paul Jones, Location: North Bank of Matanzas
Inlet, Florida, Lat: 29.75N, Log: 81.24W (approximately 18 miles south of
St. Augustine, Florida).

0425 – 0525 EDT (0825 – 0925 UT) Teff: 1.0 hour, No breaks, LM: 6.9, Clear,
except for some very slight haze near the horizons, facing: west

27 PER: -4, +1(3), +2(7), +3(8), +4(6), +5(2)

1 SDA: +2

1 NDA: +4

1 ERI: +3

1 BPE: +2

8 SPO: +1, +2, +3(2), +4(3), +5

39 total meteors

14 of the 39 meteors left trains (11 PERs, 1 SDA and 2 SPO), a couple of
the PERs were bluish and a couple were yellowish, but the -4 PER fireball
was both blue and yellow with tints of orange as well with a seven second
train left behind it - a rainbow meteor!

    Lynne and I had a great time discussing the meteors we saw and
comparing impressions on magnitudes.  We were pretty close on most of
them.  The PER fireball perfectly placed at the end of the session was an
amazing treasure for the watch.  It made it all worthwhile!

Here's Brenda's data and impressions also from Deltona, Florida: