(meteorobs) Quadrantids 2016 from Spain, above the clouds

Francisco Ocaña González albireo3000 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 07:17:06 EST 2016

Dear all,

I want to share the report of the Quadrantids 2016 from Spain. The weather
was terrible all across the Iberian Peninsula, however we managed to get
some nice meteors from over the clouds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z3V8jpJwq8

We launched a stratospheric balloon and despite the weather conditions
(flight shortened to 8 useful minutes due to rain/ice) we recorded 7
meteors. The flight lasted 90 minutes and the ground track was around 150km
long. Maximum height was around 22km, though previous flights reached up to
32km (usual missions have 40-60 minutes with stable video).

After 5 years of launches, we finally sent a colour and full HD
videocamera. Previous attemps were sometimes failures (Geminids 2015,
Draconids 2011) and some others kind of success (Geminids 2012,
Camelopardalids 2014), but this time we are quite satisfied with the result
of the mission and we hope to share more videos like this.

I want to thank to quite some people of this list, specially for their
appropiate remarks and suggestions, specially at IMC meetings.

Best regards,

Paco Ocaña (on behalf of the mission team from UCM, SPMN and Daedalus)