(meteorobs) Help with possible asteroid?????????

karl.antier at laposte.net karl.antier at laposte.net
Mon Jul 4 16:09:57 EDT 2016

Dear Roberto and all,

The unidentified object was recorded with a allsky camera, and lasted 12 minutes, bith flares as bright as the Moon.
This is why the persons recording the object thought at first that it could be a small asteroid passing very close to the Earth without entering the atmosphere, but so close that it became easily visible. It was too slow to be a meteor or satellite atmosphere reentry, and it did not fit any known satellite...

But from the last analysis made, it seems it was a satellite, in the end.

Here is the last message on the topic, by Rob Matson (on MPmL):
"Hi Thomas,
Well, it's definitely a satellite. But I agree with Ted that it is not in the unclassified
database. (I have not checked using Mike McCants' database.) If you analyze the
flash timings, there are actually secondary flashes phased 1/4 rotation prior to the
main flashes. This is not uncommon for rotating satellites with box-like shapes.
If I had a good calibration file for NMSU-1, I could convert the raw pixel coordinates
into az/el and compute a pretty good orbit. It's a fairly inclined orbit, but less than
70 degrees. Just based on the transit time, it's not a low-altitude LEO. I estimate
the altitude is over 1000 km.  --Rob"

So it seems the mystery is solved!

Clea skies to all!
Karl