(meteorobs) July 10/11 2016 observation from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:14:01 EDT 2016

Greetings again all,
     Well, the "call of the wild" was just too much for me to resist this
morning, as I awoke at 0200 EDT and looked out to see perfectly clear,
sharp and star-filled  skies.  So, I journeyed the mere seven miles over to
my trusty new Butler Beach observing site for two more hours of prime,
pre-dawn seaside meteor observing.  It was totally awesome indeed!

     I put in two hours observing from 0300 - 0500 EDT and saw a total of
46 meteors under the top notch sky conditions.  The JPEs showed up real
well, as did the SCAs and the CANs.  The PERs contributed five meteors to
the last hour just before dawn.   The number of observed artificial
satellites was once again through the roof!

Here's my data:

Observed for radiants:

CAP - alpha Capricornids
SCA_ sigma Capricornids
JPE - July Pegasids
PPS - pi Piscids
CAN - C Andromedids
ANT - Anthelions
PER - Perseids

July 10/11 2016, observer: Paul Jones, Location: Butler Beach, Florida
(about three miles south of St. Augustine, Beach, Florida), Lat: 29.79 N,
Long: 81.26 W., LM: 6.5, clear, Facing: east

0200 - 0300 EDT (0600 - 0700 UT), Teff: 1.0 hour, No breaks
2 CAN: +2, +4
1 CAP: +2
1 SCA: +3
1 PER: +4
2 JPE: +1, 3
14 SPO: +1, +2(2), +3(4). +4(4). +5(3)
21 total meteors

6 of the 21 meteors left trains, the CAP and the SCAs were golden yellow.

0300 - 0400 EDT (0700 - 0800 UT), Teff: 1.0 hour, No Breaks
5 PER: +2(2), +3(2), +4
3 JPE: 0, +2, +3
2 CAN: +2, +3
2 SCA: +2, +4
13 SPO: -1, +1, +2, +3(4). +4(3), +5(3)
25 total meteors

9 of the 25 meteors left trains, the -1 SPO was orange/yellow in color with
a train that lasted about three seconds.  The zero mag JPE also left a nice
train behind it.

All of the various radiant sources produced well for me this morning with
the exception of the ANTs.  This radiant has been strangely quiet the last
few mornings, maybe because the radiant is well over in the SW sky by the
time I get out to observe.  All the other radiants have more than made up
for it, though!

The zodiacal light was very evident this morning during the second hour,
like an inverted ice cream cone stretching out all the way over into
Aquarius!  It was amazing to see the sharp, flat angle the ecliptic path
makes with respect to the eastern horizon this time of year.  The summer
Milky Way was stunning as well this morning as I had two broad columns of
light stretching across the sky above me - amazing!  I never seem to tire
of taking in Nature's awesome  celestial spectacles!

Clear skies all, Paul J in North Florida