(meteorobs) July 25/26 2016 observation from North Florida - cloud problems

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:10:25 EDT 2016

Greetings again all,
    Seems like our Bermuda High "line of defense" may be breaking down a
bit here in North Florida as I tried to put in 90 minutes observing from
Butler Beach last night before moonrise, but clouds interfered
badly...:o(.  Somehow, I still managed to come away with fairly good
numbers though, as the sky was crystal clear through gaps in the ragged,
cottony, altocumulus cloud banks passing through.

Here's what I had (just one hour observing possible):

Observed for radiants:

CAP - alpha Capricornids
JPE - July Pegasids
ANT - Anthelions
PER - Perseids
SDA: South delta Aquariids
PAU - Piscids Austrinids
GDR - July gamma Draconids
BPE - beta Perseids

July 25/26 2016, observer: Paul Jones, Location: Butler Beach, Florida
(about three miles south of St. Augustine, Beach, Florida), Lat: 29.79 N,
Long: 81.26 W., LM: 6.5, 35% cloud interference, Facing: east

2300 - 0000 EDT (0300 - 0400 UT), Teff: 1.0 hour, No breaks
3 ANT: +3, +4(2)
1 CAP: +4
1 SDA: +3
1 GDR: +1
 6 SPO: +3(2). +4(2), +5(2)
12 total meteors

3 of the 12 meteors (the GDR, an ANT and the SDA) left trains. No meteor
colors were seen.

        I sort of felt like I was impersonating a CAMS unit for awhile
there last night: that is, trying to pick off meteors from around the edges
of the clouds!   And I actually did in a couple of cases.  The SDA was seen
out over the ocean through just such a gap.  About twenty minutes of the
hour were like this - and I thought several times about leaving,
but persisted.

        Finally, the clouds worked through my area and soon came my reward
for perseverance: a beauty of a +1 GDR tracking south from the tail of
Aquila dropping down into Sagittarius.  It was long and slow and looked
just like an "anti-CAP", similar speed and characteristics, just going in
the opposite direction...;o).  It tracked back right to the radiant near
the Head of Draco (about 5 degrees east of Eltanin, delta Draconis).
Positive ID on that puppy, for sure...;o)!

        Soon after, the clouds began to return and with moonrise imminent,
I decided to pack it up.  I was pleased though, I had gotten my prize - the
GDR.  Now, its back to finger-crossing for clear skies in the nights
ahead.  Will advise...

Clear skies all, Paul J in North Florida