(meteorobs) No Daytime Arietids for me this morning (June 7/8, 2016)

Paul Zeller pzeller1966 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:16:33 EDT 2016

  Unfortunately, I came home from work after midnight to find the sky more
than half covered with altocumulus clouds, and they hid most of the stars
even after the start of dawn. So no meteor watching for me! I'm glad you
were able to see some nice ones.

  I'm searching for a better observing site. I live on the far southeast
side of Indianapolis, where I'm lucky to get a limiting magnitude of 5.2 on
the clearest nights due to light pollution. I work forty miles away, and
some of the darkest skies in the State lie in between work and home. Plus I
work second shifts, so I have a lot of free time during those predawn
hours. The problem is, there's also an incredible lack of state parks or
other public areas in this area. I don't want to intrude on private
property. One astronomy club member told me he used to find cemeteries out
in the middle of nowhere to observe from. But I imagine if I did that, I'd
eventually be having a discussion with the local police!

  Hopefully I'll find somewhere soon with a night sky that will give me an
LM of 6.0 or better! In the meantime, I enjoy reading your posts on here.

  Paul Z