(meteorobs) May 14/15, 2016 ETA observation from North Florida – not over yet!

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Sun May 15 13:26:48 EDT 2016

Hi Paul,

The best method is one that allows you to keep you eyes on the sky while recording. I too used a digital voice recorder to record the data while in the field and then play it back when home. It helps to record the data in the same order as your datasheet to avoid jumping around while writing. I also use a voice clock for the blind that tells me the time with a push of a button without having to look away from the sky.

Many of us see meteor activity while driving to our observing site or while setting up. Then more often than not, when starting your formal watch the activity goes dead for a period. It's rare unless there is a major shower going on, to see activity as soon as you commence counting. Paul was pretty darn lucky to see one so quickly!

I hope this helps,

Robert Lunsford