(meteorobs) Question on CW and USB for radio meteor

Michael Boschat andromed at dal.ca
Sat May 21 05:52:30 EDT 2016

Hi:

 I had to move to a new location.  SO far my radio rates have dropped 70% or more than at my old location

were I had lots of them during showers.

 I tried the Eta Aquarids,Daytime Arietids and Omicron Cetids  with poor results, rates maybe 0-12/hr!

compared to 30-60/hr at old location.

My new place has a tree, and I am on the 2nd floor, lots of traffic area and just cannot put

dipole antenna on roof. It sits from my window into a tree branch facing south. I'm in a similar

direction like the older place, but lower down from a 5th floor. to having trees in front of my

window.

Also, I may be lower and I have a bad feeling I am in a sorta "dead signal zone".

  I have heard a few meteors reflections on digital and what analogue TV is left , so they still work.

But my rates are low.   SO, I am wondering  what would be good to use, I have always used CW mode

and I did test USB and heard/saw a few on the Spectrum analyizer program.

 Is there a better way to try to test the system out?   what is difference between USB and CW if any?

Could there be so called Sporadic E  causing problems?  were would one find a map if it was in my

direction of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I'm hoping the Daytime Arietids and other ones next month are better as they are stronger, and also

upcoming visual ones Delta Aquarids and Perseids.

 Thanks in advance..

Clear skies
Michael Boschat
Halifax Center - Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
Astronomy page:  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa063