(meteorobs) [Admin] Server update

Brewster LaMacchia lamabrew at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 13:29:04 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm the person that has the server that Lew Gramer has hosted this list
and site on. I don't normally subscribe to the list but have just added
myself to watch for problems as we prepare to transition to a new server
in a few weeks.

As some of you saw in your email today was a message welcoming you to
the list. That was supposed to be a dry run of moving the meteorobs site
to the new server and it was not expected that it would have generated
any emails. Sorry for any confusion, next time I'll post a heads-up that
we're testing just in case something unexpected sneaks out again.

One of the things that will be handled on the new server is mail from
domains that use DMARC as an anti-spam measure. At present when both the
sender and receiving domain of an email use DMARC, mailman (on the old
server) is unable to deliver the message as DMARC doesn't allow normal
operation of mail lists. The upgraded version of mailman on the new
server will handle that better, though it results in the From address
being the list and not the sender, so a reply might go to everyone if
your email client doesn't use ReplyTo correctly.

There will also be a change will be to the anti-spam system. As some of
you are aware messages are sometimes quarantined for a while as there's
no automatic notifications.  I'm still sorting out how the new server is
going to handle spam, and I do hope it's all stable when we switch
servers, but there might be some initial problems. I will try and
preserve the current whitelist. We don't whitelist all subscribers as
sometimes spoofed email can look valid to the system so checking the
content on everything helps limit what might slip through.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or Lew.

--

Regards,
Brewster