(meteorobs) Reference on alpha-Monocerotid potential activity in 2016/2017 ?

Karl Antier karl.antier at laposte.net
Wed Sep 21 03:38:26 EDT 2016

Thanks for your answer Michael,

It seems the news came from a discussion between Jürgen rendtel and
Mikiya Sato during the last "Meteoroids 2016". Below is the message
Jürgen sent to the IMO-News mailing list.
I contacted Mikiya Sato by e-mail, but did not receive an answer yet; I
will let you all know when I receive one, or if Mikiya can answer on the
list, that would be great!
Anyway, let's all gop out an observe the AMO, depsite the bad Moon
interferences! Just in case anything happen, and could be of value for
2017 AMO predictions!

Clear skies!
Karl

Jürgen rendtel message posted on IMO-News mailing list (20/09/2016) :
"Dear All,

Mikiya Sato gave the information about the possible activity of the
alpha Monocerotids to me when we met at the "Meteoroids 2016". Hence I
do not know of any other reference than this personal communication.
Since the dimensions of the respective dust trail are uncertain, I
understand that any 2016 activity sign hints at a sufficient number of
meteoroids for activity also in 2017. Of course, the 2016 chance is not
mentioned in the 2016 shower calendar as it was prepared more than a
year ago. Making the 2016 information widely known, might help to get a
good coverage of the period around the given position and a good sample
- even if there is also the possibility that nothing unusual happens.

Best wishes

Jürgen"