(IAAC) BRIGHT supernova in lovely barred spiral NGC 2403 in Camelopardalis

Lewis J. Gramer lgramer at upstream.net
Tue Aug 3 16:07:03 EDT 2004

A magnitude 11 supernova in another Local Group galaxy is a rare
treat. According to one of the forwards below, it has been seen
in a 3.5" scope - presumably from a dark site, but still... ! :)

This gorgeous, loose, well-known SAB galaxy may be considered
tricky to find, due to a lack of bright landmark stars in Cam.

It definitely requires decent charts and some starhopping, and
the nearest starting points are either mag 3.5 Omicron UMa (aka
"Muscida") some 8 degrees to the SE, or the pretty orange star
Pi UMa, mag 4.5, which lies about about 7 degrees to the E.

Once the hop is over, though, NGC2403 is well worth it - with
or without the excitement of a mag 11 supernova inside, it is
a very pretty sight in even moderate scopes, from a dark site:
 http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg01014.html
 http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg02044.html
 http://www.visualdeepsky.org/logs/msg03028.html

PS: Here are emails from various sources, with supplementary
details on this extraordinary extragalactic event! The CBAT's
initial notification about the SN is at the very bottom.

Clear skies, and happy SN hunting!
Lew Gramer