Problem with aliases? (was: (IAAC) Obj: NGC6645 ...)

Ante Perkovic albireo at vip.hr
Wed Aug 11 08:36:20 EDT 2004

Hi, people

I really need some clarification here.

Few weeks ago, Lewis Gramer told me to send all of my logs to
logs at visualdeepsky.org, as can be seen here:

"Lewis J. Gramer" wrote:

> Just a short note, Ante... NONE of these observing posts
> has been entered in our IAAC observing archive: you sent
> them all to our *Chat* address, not our logs address...
>
> To post observing logs (and ONLY LOGS), use this address:
>    netastrocatalog at visualdeepsky.org
>
> or you can choose to use this easier-to-remember alias:
>    logs at visualdeepsky.org
>
> For discussion or questions about observing, announcements,
> etc., send your email instead to this address:
>    netastrocatalog-announce at visualdeepsky.org
> or you can this convenient alias also:
>    chat at visualdeepsky.org

Since then, I sent all of my logs to logs at visualdeepsky.org and nobody
complained! At the bottom of my original mail (see below) that caused this
discussion You can find "To: IAAC <logs at visualdeepsky.org>".

I'm really really confused.

Can someone clarify this for me? Are You sure IAAC server is configured
properly?

Clear skies,
Ante Perkovic

Jan van gastel wrote:

> Ante,
>
> You are sending your observations to the wrong adress. You have to send them
> to: netastrocatalog at visualdeepsky.org
> and NOT (as you do, if I have seen it right) to:
> netastrocatalog-announce at visualdeepsky.org , because then they go to all
> listmembers individually and not to the catalog.

BTW, I see no problem in receiving logs individually. I received all the logs
that other people submitted last few days, so it must be standard procedure.

> Jan
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/
>
> --

... ...