(IAAC) Obj: NGC 6822, Barnard's galaxy - negative report - Inst:3.5" (9cm) ecuatorial refractor

Florian Florian at boyd.org
Tue Jul 13 17:15:40 EDT 2004

Hi Tudorica and Natko,

Barnard's Galaxy is visible in such small scopes as you both mention. I observed the galaxy last weekend with my Tele Vue 76 from the Cottonwood campground in Joshua Tree National Park, Calif. I've also seen the galaxy from the same site with Fujinon 16x70mm binoculars. (I "almost" thought i could see it with 10x42 binoculars but i'm not willing to claim that as a real observation.) One thing that can throw you off is the size of the galaxy. It's quite large and its surface brightness very low. I find it helps if i pan the scope back and forth over the area and use low powers. The galaxy was easier to see in the TV76 at 30x than it was at 48x.

-Florian
 Stargazing.com