(IAAC) Obj: M16 - Inst: 10" Orion DSE f/5.6

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Mon Jul 19 03:57:02 EDT 2004

----

Observation Poster: Brian Carter <nairbretrac at hotmail.com>

Observer: Brian Carter
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 7-19-04
Location of site: Covington, GA (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 6 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 10" Orion DSE f/5.6
Magnification: 95
Filter(s):
Object(s): M16
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: Scutum
Data: mag 6.3  size 14.0'
Position: RA 18:51  DEC -6:16
CAbsolutely breathtaking.  It is something I just keep coming back too, the more
I look the more I see.  Different sources define M11 differently, some say globular
cluster and others say open cluster.  It is very loose if it is a globular,  more
like a dense open cluster.  SEDS website gives it a diameter of 14.0', but
I really think it is almost double that.  The main body resembles a square.  It is dominated
by an 8th magnitude yellow star slightly off center.  Doesn't remind me of
a flock of ducks.  More alike a sprinkling of salt on a black background.
There are three dark areas, like bubbles.  On bubble is on the east side in the center
of the east edge of the sqare.  The west side has two, one in each corner, connected.
There is another dark lane snaking from the east bubble to the north edge.  Outside
the box there are innumerable stars.  This cluster just give more stars with each
new eyepiece.  Absolutely spectacular.

--
Optional related URLs: