(IAAC) Obj: M33 - Inst: Orion 10" DSE F/5.6

anonymous at sedna.atmob.org anonymous at sedna.atmob.org
Sat Jul 24 15:37:38 EDT 2004

----

Observation Poster: Brian Carter <nairbretrac at hotmail.com>

Observer: Brian Carter
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 7-24-04
Location of site: Covington GA (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Orion 10" DSE F/5.6
Magnification: 56
Filter(s):
Object(s): M33
Category: External galaxy.
Class: Sc
Constellation: Pices
Data: mag 9.4  size 10.2x9.5
Position: RA 1:36.7  DEC 15:47
Viewed at both 56x and 94x.  I really think the difficulty of finding this galaxy is greatly overstated.  It took me more time to find the reference star in Pices than it did to hunt down the galaxy itself.  It is hard to see due to very low surface brightness.  It is circular with no real apparent elongation.  Just a small cloud.  Brighter towards the center.  Not terribly interesting.  I had heard horror stories about this object, but it was
remarkably easy to find.  It is very near a bright star, and pops out without much effort.  It is just unremarkable. Medium to large aperture is a must though.  I can't imagine finding this very easily in my 70mm refractor.  However, with 10" and real dark skies, this will be much more interesting.  I will definately come back to it.
--
Optional related URLs: