(IAAC) Obj: M 65, M 66 and NGC 3628 - Inst: 120 mm KONUS refractor,f/8.33, eq. mount

Natko Bajic natkobajic at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 06:05:47 EDT 2004

Observer: Natko Bajic
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: April, 27th, 2001.
Location of site: Vinisce, near Split, Croatia (Lat
43.5, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 120 mm KONUS refractor, f/8.33, eq. mount
Magnification: 40x, 100x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): M 65, M 66 and NGC 3628
Category: External galaxy.
Class:
Constellation: Leo
Data: mag 9.3, 8.9, 9.5  size 9.5'x2.3', 9.0'x4.2',
15.5'x4.3'
Position: RA 11h 19m  DEC +49° 10'
Three bright galaxies in the same field of view at
40x. Brightest, M 66
is the most southest one, quite extended and having
large core with pretty
bright halo fading gradually into darkness. M 65 is
just to the west (left
in the telescope mirrored image), looking like
"narrowed" neighbour, with
the core of same size, but fainter, as it is much more
elongated. Third
galaxy in this group, NGC 3628 is, in my opinion, the
nicest one. With low
surface brightness, it is larger than two M65 and 66
and it is mostly
uniform, without central brightening. Its edges are
fading out slowly. I
have not seen any other details in any of these
objects, even when switching
to 100x. Sketch is available on the URL mentioned
below.
--
Optional related URLs: http://natkobajic.netfirms.com